Biodiversity science is an interdisciplinary field that embraces aspects of both the natural and social sciences that are relevant to describing, managing and conserving biological diversity. The Biodiversity Institute focuses existing biodiversity research strengths across the University of Oxford, to enhance links between the institute, other relevant departments in the university, and stakeholders in government and non-government organizations.
The Biodiversity Institute has three key research themes:
- Ecological and evolutionary processes regulated by and responsible for biodiversity
- Biodiversity beyond protected areas
- Novel tools and technologies for measuring, mapping and assessing biodiversity
Oxford Martin School
The Biodiversity Institute is part of the Oxford Martin School, an interdisciplinary research initiative at Oxford University that aims to tackle global 21st Century challenges under four core themes: health and medicine; energy and environment; technology and society; and ethics and governance.
Oxford Networks for the Environment (ONE)
The Institute is part of the Oxford Networks for the Environment (ONE). The networks are enabling Oxford to find solutions to the complex, converging challenges of energy, water, and food security, climate change and threats to biodiversity.
Other Biodiversity research across Oxford
- Ecology, evolution and systematics
Biodiversity Institute (BIO)*, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology, Environmental Change Institute (ECI), Natural History Museum, WildCRU.
- Monitoring and evaluation
Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology, Oxford Centre for Tropical Forests (OCTF)*, WildCRU.
- Biodiversity conservation
BIO*, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology, School of Geography and the Environment (SoGE), WildCRU.
- Land-use planning and ecological risk assessment
BIO*, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology, Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC), SoGE.
- Biodiversity and food security
Future of Food System Programme*, BIO*, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology.
- Biodiversity and climate change
- Biodiversity technologies
BIO*, Department of Engineering Science, OeRC.
- Cultural values in conservation
BIO*, ECI, Department of International Development (ODID), WildCRU.
- Biodiversity management, policy and governance
ECI, Department of Zoology, OCTF*, Oxford Martin School*.
- Biodiversity/poverty/human well-being
Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology (ISCA), Refugee Studies Centre, SoGE, WildCRU.
- Marine biodiversity
Department of Zoology, ECI, SoGE.
- Biodiversity and business
BIO*, Smith School of Enterprise and Environment.
- Ecosystem service provision
BIO*, Department of Plant Sciences, Department of Zoology, WildCRU.
- Human-wildlife conflicts
Department of Zoology, ODID/QEH, SoGE, WildCRU.