Biodiversity Network is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
Measures to support accessibility
The Biodiversity Network takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk
- Provide continual accessibility training for our staff.
- Ensure that previously generated content will be continually reviewed
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard (please see below for details) however these parts will be addressed soon.
Accessibility of www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
- HTML – The site aims to validate all pages to the HTML5 standard
- All images have ALT attributes – this provides alternative information for an image if a user for some reason cannot view it
- Pages have been designed and written to comply with with WCAG 2.1 level AA with the content structured and labelled correctly
- All pages are navigable by both keyboard or speech recognition tools
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk
- PDFs – Some PDFs uploaded to this site will not be full accessible via screen reading software
- Some older content still needs addressing to fully comply
We are working to address areas where our accessibility needs improvement. Please do contact us if there are any areas which need improvement.
The Biodiversity Network assessed the accessibility of www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk by the following approaches:
- Self-evaluation over several months of development
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on www.biodiv.ox.ac.uk
This is our website accessibility statement: if you require information on building access, hearing loops, etc, please see the University Access Guide. This statement was prepared on 28th April 2021. It was last updated on 28th April 2021.